How many SMB owners realistically possess the time or skills to build their business website and see a professional result? Is it a good use of your time, or should you make use of a professional?
Have a look at this checklist and add up points and find out if you’d better lean towards a DIY or ‘use a marketing services company for your website, with useful tips below.
Checklist: What suits you the most? Questions to ask yourself first
1. From a scale of 1-5, how experienced are you with coding and programming to add advanced features such as customer management solutions, a shopping cart application or login or membership management?
2. From a scale of 1-5, do you have time each day to create product pages and fresh content?
3. From a scale of 1-5, do you have ongoing time for continuous website maintenance?
4. From a scale of 1-5, how capable are you to deal with site repairs for crashes, HTML, code errors, broken links or corrupted database files?
5. From a scale of 1-5, how much is a marketing services company or professional within your budget?
6. From a scale of 1-5, do you have experience with Search Engine Optimisation?
If you scored between 0-20 you may want to consider a Managed Website.
If you scored between 20-30 you are capable of having a DIY website.
If you decide on a managed website
If you received this score it’s likely you have little experience with building a website or writing code. There are many great marketing services available to help custom develop a website. Sensis’ Website Premium package allows you to custom the website you want, and get access to a devoted account manager to discuss any site changes.
- Do you research online to see the best option within your budget.
- Clearly identify and learn to communicate what you want your website to look, feel and communicate online.
If you have a DIY site – top tips
If you received this score you are experienced with building and running a website, with an understanding of HTML and CSS, image editing, web hosting, domain names, databases among other skills.
Ensure that you:
- Implement SEO;
- Understand how your users think and what functions they expect;
- Communicate your business brand message and values, as well as displaying your goods and services;
- Mobile optimise your site.